Saturday 20 July 2013

20 Years, Countless Thanks.

The time has come, 20 July, 20 years. I'm not a teenager anymore. Sometimes I really think I care too much about these things, I wonder a lot about time passing, dreams I fear I will never fulfill, and so on.
Instead of thinking about the negative side of this birthday, I have started thinking about what I have learned during my two decades, and about all the people who deserve a thank you for supporting me, with words, songs, films, with being my relatives, and friends.
JUST THANK YOU TO...
(Get ready, it's a long list.)

My Dad, for teaching me how to really listen to music, how to read books, and how to love films. More than anything else, he taught me how to be modest, open-minded, and a dreamer. It's not random that one of our favourite song lines is "You may say I'm a dreamer."

My Mum, for teaching me how to go through life as a strong woman, thanks to her hard work, smile, and sacrifices I learned how to be independent, and brave enough to try, and go away.

My Brother, for teaching me how to face the obstacles life gives you without ever being ashamed, despite his being 6 years younger than me, he is one of the first people I go to when I need a hug and a good advice.

My three wonderful best friends, just for being there for me. Always, for as far as I can remember.

Chuck Palahniuk, for teaching me how to listen to people and collect stories from my life-experience.

James Matthew Barrie, for teaching me how to believe in fairies.

Bob Dylan, for teaching me the importance of words.

Coco Chanel, for teaching me the beauty of being a woman.

Aretha Franklin, for teaching me how to ask for RESPECT!

Leonard Cohen, for teaching me what poetry is.

Bruce Springsteen, for teaching me how to listen to the road and keep going.

Stanley Kubrick, for teaching me how to be a perfectionist.

Francois Truffaut, for teaching me how to see the tenderness of a good shot.

Alfred Hitchcock, for teaching me how to beat my biggest fears: by filming them.

Uma Thurman, for teaching me how to be an unconventional beauty.

Roberto Saviano, for teaching me how to be brave.

Dante Alighieri, for teaching me how to love the richness of Italian language.

Quentin Tarantino, for teaching me how to add a little bit of madness in what I do.

Marlon Brando, for teaching me the importance of showing a hidden story behind your eyes.

Pier Paolo Pasolini, for teaching me how to think outside the box.

Jack Nicholson, for scaring, and amazing me with every interpretation.

Robert De Niro, for being a costant inspiration, for being 69, and still amazing.

Julia Roberts, for teaching me the importance of a great smile.

Truman Capote, for capturing the essence of the American dream, through the eyes of Holly Golightly.

Pedro Almodovar, for trespassing the boundaries of social conventions, and re-inventing the concept of queer.

Katharine Hepburn, for her stubborness.

Audrey Hepburn, for her ecstatic, endless charm.

Charles Bukowski, for teaching me the obsession of writing.

Orson Welles, for teaching me the importance of interpretation, he made the United States believe in The War of the Worlds!

Johnny Depp, for being himself and everyone else, all at once.

Jean Luc Godard, for teaching people how to break the illusion of the camera and understand what cinema is.

J.K. Rowling, for teaching me how to believe in magic.

Bernardo Bertolucci, for teaching me how to dare for your own work of art.

Fabrizio De Andrè, for making me grow through his lyrics.

Freddie Mercury, for wanting to live forever.

Anthony Hopkins, for leaving me speechless everytime he acts.

Andy Warhol, for being so cool, and obsessed with beauty, but so fragile and scared at the same time.

Paul Schrader, for being my screenwriting inspiration.

Federico Fellini, for studying human psyche and dreams through his camera.

Federico Garcia Lorca, for being an outsider who made his soul talk.

To all the writers, poets, filmmakers, who made London the protagonist of their work, they made me fall in love with the city, they made me feel at home. 

And, in the end, to all the great women and mothers of the world. By using Almodovar's words:

 "To Bette Davis, Gena Rowlands, Romy Schneider…To all actresses who have played actresses, to all women who act, to men who act and become women, to all people who want to become mothers. To my mother."




No comments:

Post a Comment