Tuesday 16 July 2013

Waiting for August

Even though I'm getting quite bored, and I really miss London, I'm very excited for all the things I am going to see during the next month.
First of all, if everything goes the right way, I'll spend a week in Cap d'Antibes, a family tradition since I was born, and, from there, I will keep you updated about Le Musee Picasso.
The collection is hosted inside the Chateau Grimaldi, which had been Picasso's house in 1946. Nowadays the collection presents 245 works by Pablo Picasso.
I have been there many times since my childhood, but every year I look at those works of art with different eyes. Art is a never-ending story, it follows the process of growing up, and great art never stops from surprising you.



Moreover, I will spend a day in Milan to see three exhibitions at Palazzo Reale. You all know about my obsession with Alfred Hitchcock, so I cannot miss Alfred Hitchcock in the Universal Pictures' Films. From the reviews I have read, the exhibition is supposed to be an hommage to the American period of the director, with many interactive rooms such as one dedicated to The Birds (1963) celebrating 50 years this year, and another dedicated to Bernard Hermann's soundtracks. If you happen to be in Milan, the exhibition will be held until September 22. Don't miss it!


Another exhibition I am going to see is Guido Crepax: Portrait of an Artist, dedicated to the comic book illustrator who invented the character of Valentina. His work is very interesting for me because it is very much connected to cinema and photography. This one will last until September 20.




Last, but not least, Palazzo Reale also hosts the exhibit: Modigliani Soutine and the Damned Artists - The Netter Collection. The collection presents 120 works of art signed by some of the most important artists who painted in Montparnasse at the beginning of the 20th Century, in which Jonas Netter played a key role as a talent scout. I'm very interested in this kind of artistic period, and in the charm the damned artists suscitate.



If you thought this post was over, you are completely wrong, because the best part hasn't come yet. I'm officially attending the Venice Film Festival, thanks to my badge as a film student. I have already booked my hotel on the splendid Giudecca, and I'm leaving on August 27 and coming back on September 4, in order to go back to London.
This isn't just a wonderful experience for my studies, but Venice is also my dad's hometown, and I'm very glad to have a week on my own to wander around the city.
Bernardo Bertolucci is going to be the President of Jury of this year's edition, Paul Schrader (very famous for being the New Hollywood screenwriter, starting from Taxi Driver) is going to be the President of the International Jury in the section called Orizzonti, and William Friedkin (director of The Exorcist) will be honored with the Golden Lion for lifetime achievement. I will keep you updated directly from the Lido, hoping to photograph some actors, and directors, and share everything with you. You can also find the latest updates here:
Starting from next week they will send me the Festival's programme, and I'll start organizing my calendar.

Meanwhile I'll keep working to save some money, and keep searching for a flat in London.
This is going to be a great summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment